remember how anna and dean were supposed to be end game
Oh man, those gifs are only scratching the surface of the wonderfulness that is this comparison. Take, for example, the things that Dean and Anna bond over:
Anna: I was stationed on earth 2,000 years. Just… watching… silent… invisible… out on the road… sick for home… waiting on orders from an unknowable father I can’t begin to understand. So don’t tell me that — (Dean laughs) What is so funny? What?
Dean: Nothing. Sorry. It’s just…I can relate.
Compare that to Dean’s conversation with Cas in “Free to Be You and Me” where they bond over looking for their respective fathers even when the odds were stacked against them; later, in “99 Problems,” he bonds with Cas over their unreachable, absent fathers and the emotional pain of that situation.
Okay, well, that could be just a coincidence, I mean, it’s not like that’s really all that romantic even in the Dean/Anna scene.
Alright, so let’s look at the scene right before they sleep together. All of it is specifically coded as romantic/sexual, to clue the audience in to the fact that we’re about to get a sex scene. And, well…
Anna: So, um… Dean… I just wanted to thank you.
Dean: For what?
Anna: Everything. You guys — you didn’t have to help me —
Dean: Hey, let’s can the “thanks for trying” speech, you know? Participation trophies suck ass.
Hmm, sounds a little familiar, maybe a bit like-
Cas: …if it doesn’t work… thank you for everything.
Dean: Save the Hallmark. Okay? It’s gonna work. Nobody gets left behind.
Hold on, is it just me, or does that second one sound a bit more emotional, more important and weighted than the first? Strange, isn’t it?
Anyway, back to Dean and Anna, out canonically romantic/sexual relationship (whichever one seems most applicable):
Anna: Maybe I don’t deserve to be saved […] I disobeyed. Lucifer disobeyed. It’s our murder one, and I knew it. Maybe I got to pay.
Oh, that also sounds familiar. A little bit, “You don’t think you deserve to be saved,” but mostly just
Cas: Nothing you could have done would have saved me, because I didn’t want to be saved. […] I needed to do penance. After the things I did on earth and in heaven, I didn’t deserve to be out.
That one also sounds a lot more weighted and important than Anna’s line, almost as if Cas’ struggle and his bond with Dean is far deeper than the romantic one between Dean and Anna, like maybe Dean and Cas really do love each other romantically-
Hold on, this is getting weird, I thought Dean and Cas were just good friends! Really good friends! You know, the kind that would tear the world apart for each other, defy both Heaven and Hell for each other, break free of brainwashing for each other, become depressed and suicidal when the other is dead, and say things like “I need you” and “I’m doing this for you” and “I’d rather have you.” Just really good friends, right?
Dean: (Anna kisses him) What was that for?
Anna: You know… Our last night on earth… All that.
Dean: You’re stealing my best line.
Dean: (to Cas) Well. Last night on earth. What are your plans?
Do you realize how long it was since Dean last saw Cas looking like that?
More than two years.
The last time Castiel looked like that - tidy, trenchcoat, black suit, white shirt, backwards blue tie, clean - was the end of Season 6. Which was also the last time Dean…
*puts on my official Destiel firefighting Wet Blanket and climbs up on my soapbox, copies of Poetics, On Writing, and Save The Cat in my hands*
May I remind the dear ladies, gentleman, and persons of other variable and sundry genders of Tumblr that we have not been promised - and thus cannot have promises broken, betrayed, or baited regarding - any of the following in the season finale:
- A Destiel kiss
- A Destiel declaration of love
- Destiel sex
- A Destiel kiss
- Castiel falling
- Castiel becoming human
- Castiel choosing Dean over heaven
- Castiel rescuing Dean
- A Destiel kiss
- Dean clarifying his bisexuality and/or “coming out”
- Dean choosing Castiel over Sam
- Dean rescuing Castiel
- A Destiel kiss
- The Hell Gates being closed
- Anyone having a happily ever after
- Gabriel, Benny, or anyone else coming back
- Anyone dying
- A Destiel kiss
- Anything clear really whatsover about anything
Things that we have been promised:
- That it will be exciting
- That it will be the best ever
- That things will change and never be the same
- That it will be epic
- That major characters will make big choices
- That Tumblr fans will explode with feels
- That it will be unlike any previous season finale
- That sacrifices will be made
- That it will hurt but basically be about love and a positive message
Things that showrunning-type and media-interactive people about serial television are pretty much obligated to say about season finales and which could be said about all previous seven season finales of Supernatural:
- That they were exciting
- That they were the best ever
- That things changed and were never the same
- That they were epic
- That major characters made big choices
- That fans exploded with feels
- That they were unlike any previous season finales
- That sacrifices were made
- That it hurt but was basically about love and a positive message
Things that the show’s team is trying to do:
- Work us up into a tagging, tweeting frenzy
- Build our excitement for the season finale
- Make us drive up internet search results
- Make us drive up ratings
- Build “buzz” like a hive of kicked bees sucking the smoke of a burning meth lab
- Cause us a lot of cathartic emotion and even tears in the usual manner of a serial drama
Things that the show’s team is NOT trying to do:
- Cause us actual pain or harm of any kind
This is not to put a damper on anyone’s speculation, parsing of messages, enjoyment of the show, enjoyment of spoilers, excitement, or enthusiasm. I love looking for clues and speculating and predicting too. I love it a lot. It is a good and worthy thing to do and something that serial media encourages openly.
This is to hopefully give a reminder and a caution to people who are starting to get themselves into or set themselves up for a bad, hurt, betrayed, or genuinely scared emotional place because they feel like they are being promised things regarding not only their ship, but the value of certain kinds of people in the world in general or the world of Supernatural. I’m not even saying that it won’t be a huge Destiel moment. In fact, I’ve written a lot of meta about why I think Destiel is going canon and the season finale of 8 is one of the five most valid times in the course of the series to do it.
What I am saying is that you haven’t been promised a pony, only an awesome present - and yes, TPTB know you want a pony but there are a lot more factors than how much they love you involved in a pony - so if on Christmas morning there’s no pony, just a really cool bicycle, it doesn’t mean that your parents hate you and lied to you…or even that they’re never getting you a pony ever.
“Let me tell you the story of how my brother fell in love”Destiel High School AU - Scaredycas’ Logan and Brock Verse
Cas defends Sam against a school bully much to Dean’s surprise and appreciation
Based on scaredycas’ Logan and Brock Verse
i’m slightly obsessed with this whole Logan and Brock Verse thing going on. ((if you know me, you know i have a strange weakness for Dean/Cas hs!aus.)) so, i’ve complied all the drabbles for you in one big master post extravaganza.
here are the gif sets that the magnificent scardeycas keeps torturing us with.
and below are some of the drabbles for them. if you know of more (or if you wrote some yourself!) send them my way so i can add them to the post, please and thank you. (because none of these have titles i just “named” them after what they’re about. don’t judge.)
- Dean is the new kid by dirtyovercoats (rating: PG)
- Dean’s first day of school by wolfcas (rating: PG)
- Dean takes Cas for burgers by wolfcas (rating: PG)
- Cas likes the burgers. He also likes Dean (continuation of ‘Dean takes Cas for burgers’) by wolfcas (rating: PG)
- Castiel fantasizes about Dean by gilslibrary (rating: R aka nsfw text involved)
- Dean catches Cas staring by bellacatbee (rating: PG)
- sex in the bathroom PART 1, PART 2 by wheresourfatherbitch (rating: R aka nsfw text involved)
- Dean slapping Cas’s ass by wheresourfatherbitch (rating: PG-13)
- Dean can’t stop fantasizing about Cas by between2devils (rating: PG-13)
- Dean asks Cas out by deandcas (rating: PG-13)
- Dean asks Cas out again by wolfcas (rating: PG-13)
- Dean asks Cas out again PART 2 by deandcas (rating: PG-13)
- jealous!Dean by bellacatbee (rating: PG)
- possesive AND jealous!Dean at a party by between2devils (rating: PG-13)
- possesive!Dean in the hallway at school by wolfcas (rating: PG-13)
- possesive!Dean by endversed (rating: PG-13)
- Dean using pet names by endversed (rating: R aka nsfw text involved)
oh and here’s a video clip by lutytegoshi. yeah. a video clip. UGH
It’s hunting season~
My AU where angels are disliked, mistrusted and hunted for sports and glory and Dean shoots his first angel. But once he tracks him down, he simply cannot kill him. Instead, he nurses Castiel back to health in secret, who’s at first very aggressive and defensive.
Castiel’s tattoos are Enochian; Monons, Vgear, Vooan. Meaning Heart, Strength and Truth.
For four years Dean has fought angels, demons, leviathan, and God knows what else alongside Castiel. Dean knows what Cas looks like when he goes for the kill shot, and what he looks like when he moves to heal.
Two fingers: healing. A symbol of safety, of comfort, of relief.
The open palm: simple. Death.
It’s not that Castiel isn’t himself. It’s not the fact that someone named ‘Naomi’ is the direct cause of Castiel’s pain and confliction. That’s not what terrifies Dean the most. Beaten, bruised, bleeding, he doesn’t see two fingers. He sees an open palm.
He expects death, but it doesn’t come. His hand slides off of Castiel’s sleeve, heavy. Relieved.
Now, hopefully, the open palm means something a little bit different.